Earthwise product line meets performance & environmental criteria
LE’s Earthwise™ lubricants are specifically formulated to be earth friendly, while still meeting the rigorous demands of industrial applications, including those with significant water exposure. With these products, you can “go green” – and keep up with the latest environmental regulations – without having to sacrifice performance.
What Is an EAL?
EALs are environmentally acceptable lubricants that are biodegradable and minimally toxic, and are not bioaccumulative – as defined in Appendix A of the 2013 VGP. Each constituent substance in a lubricant formulation must be tested individually to meet the criteria.
EALs & Biodegradability
In oil formulations, at least 90 % of the formulation must contain substances that are readily biodegradable. Up to 5% may be non-biodegradable (but not bioaccumulative). The remainder must be inherently biodegradable. In grease formulations, at least 75% of the formulation must contain substances that are readily biodegradable. The remainder may be either inherently biodegradable or non-biodegradable (but not bioaccumulative).
Earthwise™ EAL Wire Rope Grease
Lubrication Engineers has self-certified its first Earthwise offering — its EAL Wire Rope Grease — after ensuring that the formulation met all EAL criteria.
Earthwise EAL Wire Rope Grease (3353) is an NLGI 0 grease recommended for use in applications on or near the waterways. It is an EAL and meets the specifications required by the EPA's Vessel General Permit (VGP) .
It is readily biodegradable, exhibits minimal aquatic toxicity and will not accumulate in the cells of fish and other aquatic life forms. It is a soft, semifluid formulation designed to coat wire rope as well as moving chain and cable parts to ensure long life and smooth, quiet operation. Its semi-tacky, water-resistant characteristics enable it to adhere to the application and seal out damaging moisture and protect against rust formation. Its robust additive package, including LE's proprietary Almasol® and Quinplex® additives, further helps it protect against wear, corrosion, impact, rust and oxidation.
- Well-suited for applications in or around waterways
- Formulated with 100% biodegradable base fluid
- Meets VGP standard for aquatic toxicity
- Meets VGP standard for bioaccumulation
- Helps companies be good environmental stewards
Semi-Tacky & Water Resistant
- Clings to metal surfaces, including moving parts
- Stays in place in presence of moisture for long service life
- Reduces wear to wire ropes and all moving parts, including chains and cables
- Protects sprockets, sheaves & other wear-intensive areas
- Seals surfaces, protecting against rust and corrosion
- Shields against acid attack
- Softens shocks
- Enables metal joints and strands to move freely
- NLGI 0
Earthwise EAL Syn Hydraulic Fluid
Earthwise EAL Syn Hydraulic Oil (3332-3368) is a certified Environmentally Acceptable Lubricant (EAL), recommended for use in applications on or near waterways. It meets the specifications required by the EPA’s Vessel General Permit (VGP). It is readily biodegradable, exhibits minimal aquatic toxicity and will not accumulate in the cells of fish and other aquatic life forms. In addition, the base oil used in this full synthetic formulation comes from renewable resources. A long-lasting, nonfoaming fluid designed to protect the life of hydraulic pumps and motors, it offers excellent protection against cold temperatures and resists oxidation in high temperatures. It also withstands extreme pressure, prevents rust and corrosion, and separates from water.
- Meets VGP standards for biodegradability, aquatic toxicity & bioaccumulation
- Formulated with base oil made from renewable resources
- Helps companies be good environmental stewards
Long-Lasting & High Quality
- Features full synthetic formula
- Exhibits extremely low volatility
- Maintains long oil life
- Extends oil changes
- Maintains performance in extreme cold
- Outperforms vegetable oil-based products in thermal, oxidative & hydrolytic stability tests
Wear & EP Resistant
- Protects metal components from scuffing, galling & other wear
- Withstands extreme pressure
- Minimizes leaks by protecting seals & hoses
- Minimizes equipment downtime
- Reduces need for replacement parts and labor
Water, Rust & Oxidation Resistant
- Seperates from water
- Prevents rust & corrosion
- Provides superior oxidation resistance in high temps
- Reduces sludge & varnish formation
- Prevents plugged orifices & sticking valves
- Stays in viscosity, even during temp fluctuations
- Eliminates fade or chatter by breaking up foam
- Maintains system cleanliness
- ISO 32 (3332)
- ISO 46 (3346)
- ISO 68 (3368)
Limiting the environmental footprint
At LE, we are hard at work limiting the environmental impact for industrial customers. Our multifaceted approach can help a company achieve its green sustainability initiatives. For more information about LE's environmentally acceptable lubricants, please contact us today.